Merry Christmas: Five things you need to know about your child over the holidays!

Merry Christmas season to all!  I just wanted to give parents and families a moment to reflect on the year so far, and let you know five things you really need to know about your child as we go into the season of merriment and wonder!

5. They still need you. 
          - no matter how much they are staring at a device, or how little they want to talk at the dinner table (if you can still get them there), they still need their support system.  This time of year brings out inadequacies in all of us, and it is especially difficult for kids.  They cannot control the situation they are born into, and no matter how you have been in the past, it is never too late to attempt damage control!

4.  They need space too.
          -school is stressful.  Friendships are stressful.  Losing a snapchat streak with someone (yup, look it up) is for some reason stressful.  Give them time they need to recharge over break!

3.  Your kid is working as hard as they can.
          - so you got a report that your kid might be slacking at school.  Does that mean that they are going to be a failure?  Nope.  Do we know a lot of people who may be slacking this time of year because they are juggling so many things?  Yes.  I think a lot of people take time to enjoy other things, but the state says get all this curriculum in, so us teachers might be a little tired this time of year too, and not able to cope with the slacking.

2. Your child has a gift.
          - maybe they haven't figured it out yet, (it took my brothers years...).  Each day brings a new opportunity to deterime what gift your child has for the world.  Remember back when you read them their first book, or you thought they were a genus because they could count to 5.  Find one of those moments again with them and cherish it!

1.  Your child is loved by many.
           -  so, the other day in my class, I told a kid that I loved them.  Yup. I meant it too.  He said, "you can't love me, only so-and-so can love me."  I told them that I can love whomever I want, and then I asked the kids who else loved this one, and most of them raised their hands.  They were not joking either.  If they are feeling unloved, that is scary.  If they are pushing away love, they probably need it more.  When was the last time you told them, or even one of their annoying friends that comes over and eats everything in the fridge that you love them?  Give it a shot.  You will be glad you did!

 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts